- Responding to NICE – Developing a regional sepsis pathway poster – presented at the PSC National Conference, May 2017
- Adult Sepsis Pathway incorporating red and amber sepsis criteria – view the pathway here.
- Adult Sepsis Pathway with red sepsis criteria and a standard clinical assessment for all sick/deteriorating patients – view the pathway here.
- Paediatric Sepsis Pathway, developed by Thames Valley and Wessex Paediatric Critical Care Operational Delivery Network, with screening and paediatric sepsis six criteria – view the pathway here.
- Time to treatment and mortality during mandated emergency care for sepsis, Seymour et al, New England Journal of Medicine, June 2017
- Management of septic shock (an interactive article), Berger et al, New England Journal of Medicine, June 2017
- NICE Quality Standard (September 2017)
- NHSE sepsis guidance implementation advice for adults (September 2017)
- A guide for identifying suspicion of sepsis using hospital statistics produced by Oxford PSC, May 2017
- Defining and measuring suspicion of sepsis: an analysis of routine data, Inada-Kim, et al BMJ Open, July 2017
- Recognising sepsis as a global health priority – WHO resolution recommend global actions published in New England Journal of Medicine, 3 August 2017
- RCGP Sepsis Summit Consensus Report, July 2017
- Putting sepsis algorithms into electronic patient records, Computer Weekly, July 2017
- National Patient Safety Collaborative Presentations 23 May 2017:
Andrew Brent – Oxford AHSN Regional Sepsis Pathway
Wessex PSC – Sepsis Standardising Language
Bethan Page – Suspicion of Sepsis
- Paediatric Antibiotic Prescribing Guideline developed by the Oxford AHSN Children’s Network and adopted by 5 acute trusts in the region, May 2017.
- Regional sepsis work presented at Oxford AHSN showcase event (OUH, May 2017)
- WestCall out of hours GP sepsis work presented at Oxford AHSN showcase event (Bracknell, May 2017)
- The cost of sepsis in the UK, a report by York Health Economics Consortium, funded by Whitewater Charitable Trust on behalf of Sepsis Trust UK, released 20 February 2017.
- Health Education England (HEE) Getting it right – the current state of sepsis education and training for healthcare staff across England, November 2016
- Oxford PSC ‘Sepsis: working together’ presentations, September 2016
- NICE sepsis guidelines, July 2016
- Improving outcomes for patients with sepsis: a cross-system action plan, NHS England, 2015
- Just Say Sepsis! a review of the process of care received by patients with sepsis, National Confidential Enquiry into Patient Outcome and Death, 2015
- A time to act – Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman sepsis report, Sept 2013
- A preventable death – an educational video on neutropenic sepsis (2008)
- Global Sepsis Alliance video to raise awareness for lay people, September 2017 (3 minutes)
- ‘Geoff’s story: one man’s encounter with sepsis’ (eight minutes), Oxford University Hospitals NHS FT 2016. Watch it here >
- NHS Choices and Health Innovation Network (South London), Spotting sepsis in the under 5’s, July 2017 (4 minutes)
- NHS Choices and Health Innovation Network (South London), Caring for Children with Fever at Home, July 2017 (4 minutes)
- Paediatric patient stories and information leaflets from North East & North Cumbria PSC
- Paul’s story – who made a quick and full recovery from sepsis and as a result of NEWS (the National Early Warning Score) being communicated at every handover of Care. West of England AHSN 2017 (6 minutes).
- Infection Prevention and Control 2017 Start Smart then Focus, balancing sepsis and AMR, by Stuart Brown and Philip Howard, National Project Leads HAI & AMR, NHS Improvement, presented 22 February 2017. Watch it here >
- Infection Prevention and Control 2017, Sepsis!!! By Dr Ron Daniels, presented 22 February 2017. Watch it here >
- ‘Surviving sepsis: a Human Factors approach’ (six minutes) Hampshire Hospitals NHS FT, 2011. Watch it here >
Education and Training
- Royal College of General Practitioners (RCGP) sepsis toolkit provides a collection of tools, knowledge, and current guidance to support the identifying and appropriate management of patients with sepsis.
- E-learning module on sepsis developed by Nottingham University
- Health Education England (HEE) endorsed resources relating to sepsis, January 2017
- An interactive board game to help healthcare professionals recognise and treat sepsis, co-created by Focus Games Limited, The UK Sepsis Trust and NHS England.
- The Basingstoke Hospital Male Voice Choir’s rendition of Sing a Song of Sepsis, a song created by staff at Hampshire Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust to educate about sepsis.
- Links from the HEE Getting it Right Report (see above) Royal College of General Practitioners (RCGP) toolkit
- Links from the HEE Getting it Right Report (see above) e-learning for Healthcare
- An interactive film which helps all healthcare professionals understand the common factors that may delay or hinder the diagnosis and treatment of sepsis, and therefore spot and treat sepsis earlier. It was created by the Royal Surrey County Hospital NHS Foundation Trust in conjunction with The Health Foundation, the UK Sepsis Trust and Health Education England. Watch it here >
- SAM (Sepsis Assessment and Management) leaflet for paediatrics from NHS England (South West)
- Range of adult and paediatric leaflet cards and flyers from Sepsis UK Trust
- Public Health England (PHE) in partnership with Sepsis Trust UK aim to support earlier diagnosis for children under 5 by educating parents/carers. Launched December 2016.
- The UK Sepsis Trust is a registered charity run by full-time clinicians and nurses. It aims to reach out and bring together those who have survived, been bereaved by or encountered sepsis in every imaginable circumstance. Founded 2012.