NEWS2 is the latest version of the National Early Warning Score (NEWS) from the Royal College of Physicians (RCP), first produced in 2012 and updated in December 2017, which advocates a system to standardise the assessment and response to acute illness. A common language across healthcare. A key component of the commissioned work through NHS Improvement is for Patient Safety Collaboratives to support the implementation of NEWS2 across the country, to reduce the variation and improve the quality of care. This fits with the NHS Patient Safety Strategy.
Additional NEWS2 resources:
*The care home resources include these short videos describing the correct way to take measurements from residents (eg blood pressure and oxygen saturation), spot the signs of deterioration and prevent the spread of infection.
- RESTORE2TM roll out to all care homes in Buckinghamshire, following a pilot in three care homes, launched in January 2020. It featured more than 40 care home staff and key stakeholders (pictured), in collaboration with Buckinghamshire Healthcare NHS Trust and Buckinghamshire CCG.
- Supporting the roll out of a successful pilot project in care homes in Oxfordshire.
- Education sessions for GPs across east Berkshire and Oxfordshire.
- Supporting our partners implementing NEWS2 in all acute hospital sites.
- Engaging NEWS2 champions for both acute and community inpatient settings, in local and national networks for peer support and sharing of best practice.