Over 70 people attended this event on 1 May 2018 which brought together patients and relatives who have experienced sepsis, and clinicians who manage patients with sepsis. The programme included patient stories, national updates (Ron Daniels, UK Sepsis Trust CEO) and regional updates (Andrew Brent, regional clinical lead) , and interactive workshops to improve sepsis care, information and support for people in our region (using Liberating Structures).
The event was hosted by the Oxford AHSN Patient Safety Collaborative with support from The UK Sepsis Trust.
- hear national and regional updates on sepsis
- provide an opportunity to network, engage with, and learn from people who have experienced sepsis
- input into patient information resources
- input into teaching resources
- discuss the needs and opportunities for a regional sepsis patient support group and input into the regional strategy.
Outputs from the event included:
- setting up a patient-led support group with help from the UK Sepsis Trust.
- a portfolio of patient stories to use in education – videos, written and in person
- amendments to patient information leaflets and ideas about raising public awareness.
Feedback from participants:
“An excellent example of how to do patient/public engagement work. useful & enjoyable” Bethan Page, PhD student
“A super day combining different groups learning from each other. I found it helpful and supportive and really enjoyed being part of it all”. Liz Grover, sepsis survivor, UK Sepsis Trust
“Great collaborative event. Cathartic, educational and progressive…all at the same time” Emma Cazaly, sepsis survivor
“A humbling experience that will change my practice” Owen Gustafason, Physiotherapist, OUH
“Valuable reminder that holistic care is good care” Dr Andrew Cooney, sepsis lead consultant, MKUH
Evaluation survey 100 days on, September 2018
Presentations from the Sepsis patient-centred event, 1 May 2018:
Andrew Brent – what are we doing regionally?
Ron Daniels – Sepsis: making sense of it all
Surviving sepsis – Judy Kennedy – artwork by Tony Ashton
Geoff’s story: one man’s encounter with sepsis – video
Recovery and support groups – Liz Grover
A relative’s experience of sepsis – Christine Mackenzie
More patient accounts of sepsis here, here and here
We have further resources for patients and relatives here and for clinicians here