Q is an initiative connecting people who have health and care improvement expertise across the UK. It is being led by the Health Foundation and supported and co-funded by NHS Improvement. Oxford AHSN Patient Safety Collaborative is supporting the Health Foundation grow the community.
Q’s mission is to foster continuous and sustainable improvement in health and care. To achieve this, the Health Foundation is creating opportunities for people to come together and form a community – sharing ideas, enhancing skills, and collaborating to make health and care better.
Q was co-designed with 231 founding members in 2015. This helps ensure Q is genuinely helpful to the diverse range of people leading improvement. Q will continue to evolve – being shaped with the community as it grows. There are now over 2000 members in the community, and it will continue to grow.
The community is made of up a diverse range of people including those at the front line of health and social care, patient leaders, managers, commissioners, researchers, policymakers, and others. Including a wide range of perspectives boosts the power of Q as a source of innovation and practical problem solving.
Opportunities to join Q are open. Throughout 2018 Q is welcoming applications from people with improvement expertise based anywhere in the UK.
To join Q you need to submit an application form through the online application portal. Applications are being assessed by people experienced in improvement from a range of different backgrounds. Detailed guidance on completing the application can be found at q.health.org.uk
If you are interested in applying you will need to demonstrate knowledge and experience of using different approaches and methodologies to improve the quality of health and care and reflect on how you might benefit and contribute to the community.
Once you submit your application, you’ll hear the outcome within 6 weeks.
Q is not a taught programme, but a network of support for those already knowledgeable in undertaking improvement. There is no membership fee or minimum time commitment. Q is designed to support busy people with their current improvement work, on-going development and promote their visibility as a leader of improvement.
More information about Q can be found at q.health.org.uk. or you can email [email protected]
- About Q
- Decision tree
- Frequently asked questions
- Q – the collaborative design process video
- The Q initiative animation
- Register your interest
- AIMS – applicant user guide to the online application system
- The Health Foundation – AIMS portal
- Technical issues with Aims – please email [email protected].
- Tracy Broom, Associate Director – Patient Safety Collaborative, Wessex AHSN, tells us about her experience of Q so far and the value of joining. https://q.health.org.uk/news-story/what-does-q-offer/
- Clare Ashby, Head of Safety for Yorkshire Ambulance Service – Life as a Yorkshire Improvement Fellow and becoming a National Q Fellow. http://www.improvementacademy.org/about-us/blogs/2017/02/16/life-as-a-yorkshire-improvement-fellow-and-becoming-a-national-q-fellow/